Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 5: Day 4~ Mazatlan

One side of Mazatlan ...

...and the other side of Mazatlan. Iwas stunned by the massive amounts of graffiti. It was absolutley everywhere you looked. Clear through the city ... We boarded buses in the morning and took a 45 minute ride to a blue agave plantation to do some ziplining.

I swear the greatest adventure of the whole day was climbing in these vehicle and riding straight up the mountain. They were from World War II. I can't belive we survived!


Check out this Tarrantula. I've never seen one in the wild that wasn't all black. I braved my trepidations from my childhood, when my brothers used to put them in my bed or on my head, and got close to take a picture for Austin.

My very first run ever. Of course, they teach you all about technique after your first time.I think they like to see everyone spin around like a top.


I'm happy to report we never had a problem with braking, unlike other individuals. We never slammed into the guides or stopped too soon and had to pull ourselves in. It was fun to laugh at some of the other debaucles, though. Those poor guides areso brave as people slammed into them and they had to keep their balance on tiny platforms.


Getting ready to go down the last line of the day
Back at the bottom of the mountain, after a short helicopter rappel down from a tree.

The Tequilla Distillery ~ It had some super awesome trees. Check this one out! (I got to ride the horse you see in the background. The manager had one of the workers run and bring her over so I could ride. Her name was Elegance).


These are the hearts of the Blue Agave plants.They call them "pineapples." This is what they steam for two days andmash into pulpto get the sugar for Tequilla.


I'm eating some agave.It tastes just like sweet potatoes. Now if I'm ever stranded in Mexico, I'll look for agave plants for survival ;-)


I saw this massive wild iguana and one of the workers ran and caught him.

We had a couple hours before we had to head back to the ship, so we went and checked out the "Golden Triangle"zone of Mazatlan. This area was much cleaner, with sculptures everywhere. Then we took a little taxi back to port, where Scott got rooked by the cab driver (who,by the way, was singing along to Madonna the entire time. Pretty funny!)

No comments: